Wednesday 27 December 2006

Volcano Imbaburro






















Decided to to climb Imbaburro, an extinct volcano some 3hrs North of Quito. I left Crossroadshostal with a Colombian chap who was heading north to go home after a year traveling round SA. He has decided to join the jewish faith & move to Israel (Haifa), I did not think Judaism was particularly welcoming to converts as it is not considered an evangelical faith. I thought you either were one or you were not,( I wonder if anyone has told him that he has to have part of his nob chopped off to join? ) there is a specific title for the chap who performs this function, the name of which escapes me for the moment, apparently it is a very poorly renumerated position....... but you get to keep the tips !!
Anyway.. left him and caught the bus to Ibarra, with the intention of changing buses there to take the bus from there to a place called La Esperanza, where the trail begins. Whilst gazing blankly out of the bus widow on the way to Ibarra I see a big sign pointing to La Esperanza, I ask the conductor on the bus & he says Si Si La Esperanza, so I swiftly disembark and catch a bus back a couple of K and then walk up to La Esperanza, I ask a few locals were is Casa Aida no idea I discover there are a few La Esperanzas & this was not the one I was Looking for. They seem to be sprinkled about Ecuador perhaps like we have Tarbets. Back on another bus to Ibarra, then to the right one. Find Casa Aida, & she cooks me an evening meal VG, she also organises a camioneta for 8am the next morning.
Up early, have breakfast & discover the driver is not coming because it is too wet. Oh well decide to walk up and see how I get on. Interesting walk up the cobbled lane through Chirihausi and to the end of the road, this takes 2hrs ; which would have taken 10min by camioneta.
It is still cloudy but perhaps it will lift, after 4.5hrs I have come from 2650 to approx 4100m and it starts to rain, quite heavily, and of couse the viz is poor, I have another 2.5 hours to the top, after some thought I reluctantly turn round & head back down, another failure.
Tomorrow I am joining a group to try to climb Cotopaxi AGAIN. I go first to Papa gayo AGAIN for a night then meet up with the others. This time it is with a guided group & at great expense ,well $160. There is not much alternative as I cannot really go on my own,
I wonder what will cause failure this time!!!
SS
Thanks for the message Cameron.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah not so good news in your last note. However even for someone as naive as myself in these matterss, unfortunately not surprising. Hope all their efforts are rewarded and they can put some kind of closure, if ever they really can, on this very sad time in their lives.

On a lighter note, heartening to hear that you continue in your quest to conquer Ecuador's volcanoes. You sound a little disheartened. Didn't think the work "failure" was part of your vocabulary. Is the cup half full or half empty?

As an afterthought Sam, you told me that I was not to leave any rude or suggestive comments on your "blog" as it was a "family site" and here you are talking about mens' bits and "tips"! You may have opened the floodgates for me to talk about all sorts of rude things!

For the moment - think you should concentrate on climbing volcanoes and I should concentrate on wishing you well.

Lots of love and best wishes.
xxx

PS This is a personal thought but I hate that word "blog"!

Unknown said...

Hi there. That last blog seemed quite serious, I wonder what the outcome of the trail shall be today. Seems like you have been up to quite alot so far! It also seems like the weather is quite bad there at the moment? Hopefully your climb up Cotopaxi will be alright with no problems! speak to u soon!

Anonymous said...

Having reviewed Ecuador's Volcanoes - the story so far - I must congratulate you on including the necessary components of an amazing travel story, worthy of your hero Bruce Chatwin.

You and your commentators have managed to include aspects of characterisation, drama, stoicism, romance, intrigue, suspense, and lastly, a marvellous plot, whilst trying (usually) to remember your audience.

Your photographs are superb, no doubt to appear at a later date in books of great climbing adventures throughout the world.

Good luck to you as you journey on into 2007.

Do you have an agent to help you publish?

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam,
Good blog (again). Sorry I have not communicated but my lap top blew a fuse just before Christmas. It was working under intense pressure to find a decent European snow forecast. We head off to Vaujany on Sunday, with the McNairs. I think that young Cameron might have seen more snow ove Christmas than us. Have you heard that the Snowy Mountains had a white Christmas? Coldest Oz summer on record etc. People in the alps are jealous.

Weather here is now simply dreich, although there's snow forecasted for hogmany and most of next week. After December's monsoon, I reckon that you will have a load of work awaiting you when you return.

You described an unusual technique to exit an avalanche zone- tie yourselves together with a short rope and run! I reckon £80 for a proper guide will be money well spent.At least its a change of company.

Alex

Anonymous said...

Sam

I wouldn't want you to spend the rest of your trip worrying. The info you want is:

A Mohel is a Jew who has been trained in the physical procedures of circumcision.

Now you know.

Hope you make the top this time.

Happy new year when it comes.

Ian & Marj

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam,
This is a voice from the past, well we have not met that many times but you know my Man, Hamish!!On reading your epic adventures I can only tilt my hat, shame I dont wear one,at you. We have managed to travel to many courntries and are constantly changing our address but still go through life wishing at times we could be daring, so keep us daring and amused with your stories of life and the fantastic pictures which the children can use for their projects. Take care Sam and if your ever passing through Dubai we will can put up a tent on our small patch. Sue Cowie