Thursday 4 January 2007

Back to Quito..

I did discuss parasitical invasion with Toby the kayaking guide and he recomended the local solution, which is to consume a large amount of the local hooch, a distillation of sugar cane, it costs a dollar a litre , about the same as bleach and just as good for you. I bought a half bottle slugged some down, yeuch !!! but i´m sure it´ll poison the blighters !! Did tell you about the beer in this place PIlsner lager they call it. It is most certainly a morning lager, a refreshing drink suitable for consumption prior to driving long distances at high speed, or operating heavy machinery, it makes Kestrel seem like Special Brew. I happily left the Travellers Lodge, where i had been staying. I had suffered what I thought were insect bites on my legs and back, but this morning it dawned on me that they were flea bites, over 50 of them, well at $8 a night for a single room with ensuite .. I suppose one must expect a flea or two , one of the drawbacks of travelling around.
Caught the Quito bus 5 1/2 hours through some great senery, up over the pass at 4200m, with some vertiginous drops at the road edge and evidence of landslides round every corner, and as if this was not heartstopping enough, our driver , just to add an extra frission of exitement decided to have a bus race with a rival operator who´s vehicle was just in front, they all think they are Fangio here !! You will be pleased to hear our bus won after a particularly daring move by our driver, involving overtaking on a sweeping bend with a precipice on one side and the prospect of anything coming down the other way !!
Up untill now anyone who has read any of these little ¨epistles¨ may have thought´¨ ok for SWM but not where I would like to go for a holiday¨ well where I am off to tomorrow may well be somewhere that each and every one of you may have had a notion to go to at one time or another......tomorrow I fly to the Galapagas Islands for 6 days on a trip round the places of interest on a 50ft yacht, so there, I do not know if there is any internet access there, I will find out on arrival, this outing should be safe enough.... even I can outrun a giant tortoise !! I am also particularly interested in seeing the plentyfull amounts of boobies that the islands boast. yours SS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is I beleive 80 degrees and sunny in the Galapagos Islands today. What would I want to be there for ? !!! I might need to take my clothes off and then you would get more boobies than you bargained for !!!

xxxx
P.S. I am told the blue,red and masked boobies are very popular birds (That is birds, not burds !!)

Anonymous said...

Green with envy.

I have to admit to being completely enamoured with the diving iguanas of the Galapagas.

Any chance you could get some photos of them and post them on your blog? Or is that me being cheeky? Probably is, as this ain't no request show! But that's what happens when you volunteer to boldly go where we would love to, but, for a multitutde of reasons don't/can't!

Kirsten